Thursday, September 18, 2008

Widespread Lack of Support for Spouses of Disabled Iraq Veterans

I am the spouse of a disabled Iraq veteran. Labeling my wonderful spouse as 'disabled' is disheartening. The label is not a reflection upon who he is, but the cards with which he has been dealt.

I have felt alone in this world, as if I'm the only person attempting to cope with a husband who has post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and traumatic brain injury (TBI), both widespread epidemics in this urban war. After speaking with a former classmate, I was given the contact information for another young woman dealing with the same issues--a husband with PTSD. I contacted her in California, worlds away from me. She too feels alone.

We are not alone. While I do not want to limit this blog to Iraq veteran issues, as Vietnam veterans experience(d) the same problems, I am focusing on the current, growing problem and the one with which I am currently dealing. My goal is to reach out to other spouses, fiances, boyfriends, girlfriends and other signficant persons in a disabled veteran's life.

I am here with my advice, support and sounding board for you. In the last year, I have had my share of experiences with the disabled veteran's problems, including their disability, the VA and Social Security Disability. The VA is lax in offering help or treatment to those of us providing for and taking care of a disabled veteran on a day-to-day basis. We need, not only, reform of the VA for treatment of the veterans but to offer treatment for the spouse who is entrusted the duty of daily care for disabled veterans. Some days, my mental health is so fragile that my thoughts turn to suicide. Where is my support group or therapist? Even in my closest friends I cannot confide as they cannot understand.

Please feel free to comment.

No comments: